Monday, August 2, 2010

Fondue and Olives


Community: Haven't been out in the community of clay as much in the past couple of weeks. I did NOT make it to Smith College to see Emily Eveleth, although I still hope to (I am heading back to VT tonight to finish up the treehouse so perhaps on my way home on Wednesday?). I have been trying to keep up with what's going in the digital information sharing world, however. On the weekend that I got reacquainted with a form I have been fond of (produced by D. Lasser ceramics in Vermont), Jim Gottuso posted on his blog, Sofia's Dad's Pots, a form that was kind of similiar, although more baroque and elegant and beautiful:


I wrote to him about the coincidence and promised to get him some images from the original source. Alas, I can not seem to negotiate D. Lasser's website to find the original form. Wanted to give proper notation (no modern-day high school plagiarist am I...)

So...

Studio: Here are some photos, then, of my interpretation of said form:



These forms are the closest - smooth transition from top form to bottom form. D. Lasser is a little psychedelic with glaze treatments and so likes really pristine surfaces for glaze spatters...


I like texture, myself, so I started to experiment with creating a zone of texture - almost like a handle - with a smooth bowl area. These are closest to what I think of as my aesthetic. I think these might be good for olives...





The next ones are a direct result of looking at Jim's work. I would never usually go as detailed as he does, but it was fun to work on these. I think of them as fondue pots - the opening nice and deep, with rests on the side for the forks. If I keep working on this form, I'll probably tone them down a bit, but who knows...?



3 comments:

  1. imagine my surprise to see my pots on your blog. i figured you couldn't get hold of the picture. the first set remind me of the greek kylix, one of my all time favorite shapes although i've never attempted any. i keep mulling around in my head this idea about why i never see any soup bowls or just bowls or just plates for that matter that have a stand that keeps the bowl up near one's face while eating. it seems like for soup, this would be a great advantage. i always think that it somehow should have been done by now (who knows, maybe it has). or maybe it's just that the bowls/plates would take up too much room in the pantry or would be too difficult to clean. sorry to ramble. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does remind me of the Greek Kylix! Soup up near your face might solve my problem of drips down my chest...

    We use the D. Lasser bowl for serving food, mostly appetizers but can be used for other vegie type stuff. Shallow sides might work for broth type soups, but my last images could work for chili/chowder?

    BTW - thanks for taking the time to respond - you seem to be the only one reading my blog (although my sister swears she does). Only one month left to be The Sabbaticalist - don't know whether I'll change the name or let this blog-thing die...

    ReplyDelete