Monday, August 9, 2010

A Followup on the PMC (1)

I want to get out a proper thank you to all who supported me for this weekend's ride. I am working on this electronic version and will be writing some old fashioned notes tonight and the next couple of nights. It is my hope that this version of a thank you will help illustrate what the weekend was about.

I have always been a relatively silent participant in the PMC. My family thinks I am brave but in truth, at this event, I am surrounded by a vast blanket of people who epitomize strength and bravery and character. I am always reluctant to stand out - there are so many people who have been affected by cancer, so many people with unique stories and heartbreaking battles, everyone one of us needing/wanting to do something...

And so I have been quiet. I am one of thousands. My very presence and participation in this event has been enough for me. I can raise the minimum. I can pedal the distance. That was enough. But I wanted to do something more this year. I wanted to be more of a participant. Baby steps, I know, but I decided to take pictures this year and show them. I always try and describe the event in my post-ride letter, but I thought images might help the visual among us. So here it goes...
Saturday morning was beautiful! Woke up at 5:15. On the road by 5:40...

...looking a little groggy...

...but arrived at Babson to a party. Volunteers, riders, family members energetically preparing for the ride. Donated coffee, yogurt, bagels, fruit, PB&J being consumed at an incredible rate. Disco lights and music pumping. It was high energy and a great way to psych oneself up for the task at hand.

My family showed up, bless them, at 6:30 - Liam a bit cold, obviously. They are always so good to come out and cheer me on at the send-off. My sister Kathleen and her boyfriend Randy also came (they've come every year as well!), although I didn't have the camera out at the time and I needed to wade into the sea of riders...

...to get my bike so it was a brief hello. A cheery send-off from Larry Luchino, himself a cancer survivor and then a magnificent rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner by an opera-trained rider. Send-off at Babson was at 7am.

An even larger group of riders had taken off from Sturbridge at 5am! All told, there were about 5000 bikers on the road this day!

I will continue this story with more photographs on the next post...


No comments:

Post a Comment