Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dinner Tonight

One of the things that the sabbatical allows me to do is cook a bit more. More time to research, more time to prepare. While I get into the studio a whole bunch more, I still have to get the kids after their school is done. 6 hours in the studio. A couple of hours supervising the kids doing homework and cleaning their rooms. Time to cook.

I was recently asked, I think by Celia, what I would have done if I hadn't become an artist. I immediately thought about cooking. I have some experience in the kitchen of a restaurant (The Chart Room, Parchman Farm - although, I worked at Parchman Farm when it was a jazz club and not "the only Japanese-Italian restaurant" in Portland.) When Trish and I were talking about how I could use my sabbatical, we talked about me asking Michael Leviton (behind us at Wesleyan by a year) whether I could intern with him at Lumiere, Michael's exquisite restaurant in West Newton. Ultimately, I decided that I needed to stay in the studio as I much I could. So I will cook for my family.

Tonight's recipe: for pasta - I used a tomato-spinach fusilli
4 slices bacon, cooked - broken up
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, rough chopped
6 button mushrooms, quartered
2 tomatoes, roughly choppped
herbs de provence
ground pepper
salt
Parmigiana Reggiano

Cook bacon. Drain and crumble. Pour off excess bacon grease and saute garlic and onion until soft. Add mushrooms until cooked down, then tomatoes. A bunch of herbs (provence, pepper, salt). Top the pasta, then put on the parm. Looks like hell, tastes so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment